Text Box: Home Page

Welcome to the Widnes Historical Society web site where we can keep in touch with members past and present as well as encourage new members to come along to the meetings. 

 

 

We now also have a FACEBOOK page which is updated more regularly with extra interesting snippets, memories, stories and pictures. 

 

Please visit us on Facebook, Widnes Historical Society

or click the facebook logo to go direct to the page

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

or copy and paste

 

www.facebook.com/groups/474504772752214/

 

into your web browser, and leave your comments,

suggestions and stories

 

 

 

Articles can be e-mailed to

widneshistoricalsociety@live.co.uk or visit our new FACEBOOK page and leave your comments or send a message

 

Way of Communication
Visitors Site Counter

Web site last updated September 2016

Listed Buildings in Widnes

"f" Logo

Church, Farnworth

A Gothic style sandstone church with a grey slate roof seen from the south; a crenellated tower to the left, a porch in the middle and a large chapel projecting on the right

II*

12th 

century with later additions

St Luke's is a parish church constructed in red sandstone dating from the late 12th century. Its tower was added in the 14th century. There were later additions and restorations, the final restoration being in 1894–95. The plan consists of a west tower, a five-bay nave with north and south aisles, a chancel, and north and south porches. At the east end of the north aisle is the Bold Chapel, which contains many family monuments, and the transept is known as the Cuerdley Chapel.

 

Runcorn Railway Bridge

A bridge consisting of four girders on sandstone piers crossing the River Mersey seen on a frosty morning; beyond the railway bridge is the arch of the road bridge and under the arches is a church

II*

1864–68

Spanning the River Mersey to provide a more direct rail connection between London and Liverpool, the bridge is constructed of three wrought iron girders carried on four sandstone piers. It is approached on each side by viaducts. The structure was designed by William Baker and now carries the Liverpool branch of the West Coast Main Line.

 

St Michael's Church, Ditton

A tall narrow tower with a small pointed spire surrounded by trees in leaf almost hiding the body of the church; to the left is a footpath with railings and a wall

II*

1876–79

St Michael's is a Catholic church built for a Jesuit community who had been expelled from Germany in 1872. It is constructed in red sandstone ashlar and has a cruciform plan. At the west end is a tall tower with a saddleback roof.

St Mary's Church, West Bank

The west end of a Gothic Revival style church built in different coloured sandstone, showing a tall tower with a flagpole; in front is a hedge and to the sides are trees

II*

1908–10

St Mary's parish church was built to replace an earlier church nearby which had been damaged bysubsidence, It is constructed in red sandstone in Perpendicular style. It has a naveaislestransepts,chancel and a tower at the west end.

Former power house of the Widnes-Runcorn transporter bridge

A red sandstone building seen from the rear, in two storeys, with an arch over a footpath on the left in the lower storey, and a plain wall in the upper storey; two chimneys and two hipped roofs; on the left are parts of the bridges and on right is the edge of the approach to the road bridge

II*

1901

This is a small red sandstone rectangular building in three storeys which originally contained the power house to drive the transporter bridge. It has been converted into use as an electrical sub-station.

Norland's House

A pathway with a wall on the right leads to a white-painted two-storey house with attic and black-painted dressings; a lower two-storey wing extends to the left and on the right is a lean-to extension

II        

Early 18th century

Norland's House is a farmhouse dating from the early 18th century with later alterations and additions. The house is built in brick on a stone plinth. It has two storeys and has been painted white. At the corners are rusticated quoins which have been painted black.

 

The Hollies

A sandstone wall with a hedge and a gate in front of a plain brick house in two storeys with three bays and an arched central doorway; the right side of the house is painted white and the edge of a larger house is to the left

II

Late 18th 

century

The Hollies is a brick house with two storeys which was built in the 18th century. At the sides of its doorway are a Doric fluted columns and over it are moulded frieze and a fanlight. From 1867 to 1873 it was the home of Ludwig Mond.

 

103, 105, 107 and 109 Highfield Road

A row of two-storey brick cottages with grey slate roofs; the door frames, elaborate window frames and string course are painted white; short gardens are in front and a tree is on the right

II

Early 19th 

century

This is a terrace of four brick houses with slate roofs which were built in the early 19th century. They have two storeys with a string course between them.

Farnworth Bridewell

A low plain building in red sandstone with a gently sloping gabled roof and a door to the right with flaking black paint and a notice reading "Bridewell" in Gothic script

II

1827 

This was originally a Bridewell situated adjacent to St Luke's churchyard. It is a plain rectangular building in red sandstone with a slate roof.

Mersey Lock, Sankey Canal 

A canal lock with sandstone walls and wooden gates seen from its midpoint; the gates are closed and water is held at a higher level beyond them; railings run along the top of the gates and on the wall to the right

II

1833 

The lock is at Spike Island, the terminus of the Sankey Canal where it joins the River Mersey. There is a difference of 12 feet (4 m) between the water level in the canal and the river.

St Bede's Church

A Gothic Revival sandstone church seen from the side with a crenellated tower on the left and the body of the church with a clerestory to the right; in the foreground on the right is a path with shrubs and a tree that partly obstruct the view of the church

II

1847

St Bede's is a Catholic church built in red sandstone. The west tower is broad and has angle buttresses and gargoyles. The plan of the church consists of a nave with aisles, and a chancel with a tripartite east end.

Tower Building, now part of Catalyst Science Discovery Centre

A four-storey building with four bays painted pale grey, with an extra glass storey on the roof and a glass lift on the right side

II

c. 1860

Tower Building was constructed for the chemical firm of Hutchinson & Co and was later used by Gossage's. In 1989 it was converted into a museum; a glass-surrounded observation deck was built on the roof and a glass external lift was added to the east.

St Marie's Church

A plain brick church seen mainly from the end, with a steeply pitched roof, a doorway and buttresses on the left side, and a small bellcote with one bell on the gable end

II

1864

This was a Catholic church which was designed by E. W. Pugin and has been little altered since. It is built in red brick with sandstone dressings. Its plan consists of a nave and apse with lean-to aisles. The church became redundant in 2006 and was listed the same year.

 

Hough Green railway station

Two sets of rails between platforms beyond which is a brick building with two gables and a canopied area between them; a sign to the left says "Hough Green"

II

1872

The station was built in brick for the Cheshire Lines Committee. It has an H-shaped plan with gables at each end and a canopy between.

Widnes railway station

Two sets of rails between platforms beyond which is a brick building with two gables and a canopied area between them; a sign to the left says "Widnes"

II

1872

Widnes station was built in brick for the Cheshire Lines Committee. It has an H-shaped plan with gables at each end and a canopy between. It was originally called Farnworth station.

Former town hall

A two-storey brick building with extensive terracotta dressings and decoration; a steep grey slate hipped roof with a central attic and chimneys; each lateral bay protrudes slightly forward and is topped by a complex irregular gable end

II

1885

The former Widnes Town Hall is built in brick with terra cotta dressings. It is a symmetrical building in nine bays with an ornate central bay and Dutch gables over the outer bays.

Sewer vent

A chimney-like brick structure in two stages with some brick decoration and a corbelled top

II

c. 1893

This chimney-like structure is a sewer ventilation shaft, built in decorated brickwork and approximately 30 feet (9 m) high. It is the last survivor of a system of seven vents whose purpose was to remove the effluent from chemical manufacture.

Cemetery chapels

Two joined gabled sandstone chapels with a tower between in Gothic Revival style; the tower is truncated and has the metal skeleton of a spire on its top, the whole acting as a chimney

II

1897

This is a pair of joined gabled chapels that are built in red sandstone. Between the chapels is a tower with an octagonal steeple. Part of the structure has been converted into a crematorium with the steeple used as a chimney.

Wayside pulpit, St Mary's Church

A sandstone structure in the shape of an inverted T with an inscription in Gothic script along the top; behind is part of the church to the right and a row of houses to the left

II

c. 1910

This sandstone structure is a pulpit which forms part of the boundary wall of the churchyard of St Mary's Church. It incorporates a religious text which reads, "Go out into the highways and compel them to come in that my house may be filled".

War memorial,
Victoria Park

A curved area of grass with a floral border beyond which is a cream-coloured obelisk on a large plinth; in the distance are leafless trees and houses

II

1921

Listed in 2007, the memorial is built in York and Portland stone. It comprises an obelisk surmounted by a flaming urn which stands on a plinth on a platform. The sculptor was Herbert Tyson Smith.

Kingsway Health Centre

Widnes Health Centre.jpg

II

1938–39

This a rare example of a 1930s comprehensive health centre outside London. It is designed in Modern style and incorporates Art Deco elements. It was listed in 2009, and the associated walls, gates and railings are included in the listing.

 

Silver Jubilee Bridge

In the foreground is the Manchester Ship Canal with a portion of shore and its wall beyond; behind this is a grey-coloured arch carrying a roadway with the piers of the railway bridge beneath; under the arch are factories on the far side of the river

II

1956–61

This road bridge crosses the River Mersey and links Runcorn with Widnes, replacing the former Widnes–Runcorn Transporter Bridge. It is a through arch bridge which carries a four-lane carriageway and cantilevered footway to the east. Its span is 1,082 feet (330 m) and its total length is 1,628 feet (496 m).

 

Grade

Criteria

II*

Particularly important buildings of more than special interest

II

Buildings of national importance and special interest